Custom Alerts: Creating your Workflow
Once you have successfully created your first email template, you can navigate to Manage > Workflows to specify when that email should be sent. Remember that workflows are akin to actions that your users can take, which trigger your email, API call or SMS templates.
An overview of Email Layouts, Emails, Workflow Alerts (email, API and SMS) can be watched here, or keep reading the article for step-by-step instructions for editing the defaults or creating your own email template.
On the workflows page, you will find a list of high level actions that may occur on your marketplace. For instance, you will see 'Sign Up', 'Reservation', and 'Listing'. For the purposes of this demonstration, go ahead and select 'Sign Up' - it should be the first option in the list, at the top:
When you click on sign up, you will notice that you have drilled down into more specific actions that relate to the general 'Sign Up' action:
Click on 'Account Created' and you will see that two workflows have already been created - these are the workflows that correspond to the default Sign Up Welcome and Sign Up Verification mailer templates, which can be found under Customize Default in the Manage > Emails tab of your admin dashboard.
- Name - This is the name of your workflow. This is for your use only, and helps you keep track of the custom workflows you have created
- Alert type - This is the type of template that you are sending - Email, SMS, or API
- Delay (minutes) - Use this to specify if your alert should be delayed
- Prevent trigger condition - If blank, it will always run. If true, it will not be triggered.
- Recipient - If you have a specific person in mind who should receive your email when a user triggers a specific action, then you can enter their full email address in this field.
- Recipient Type - Use this dropdown to select the general type of user who should receive your email. For instance, if you wanted to send your email to all administrators on the marketplace when a user triggers a certain action (such as a listing expiring, for instance), you would want to select 'administrator'
- Template path - This is where you will choose the template you just created, which attaches that template to the workflow you are currently creating.